Sunday, July 19, 2009

More Malawi Stories part 3


Here is a sweet story from Mary Moore this week about a Mobile Medical Unit she was on:

It was our busiest clinic so far. 180 people to be seen, and there were 4 of us working, plus one doctor....made things interesting. I started working the pharmacy, which is basically a trunk full of medicine and ziploc bags. Pharmacy is so hard for me--the prescription is for 10 or 15 pills, most of the time something as simple as Ibuprofen. I always slip a few more in than the doctor prescribed...and sometimes I couldn't read what the doctor had written and would have to just guess what it looked like. Never good. I was relieved when Sydney asked me to swtich and go take weight and pulse.

So, in order to tell the Malawians that I want to take their pulse (don't know how to say that in Chichewa), I usually hold out my arms, palms up, so that they will do the same. A five year old girl dressed in a holey salmon pink sweater and navy blue skirt was next in line for pulse...and although she was very adorable, I wasn't too thrilled--most children scream when it comes to their turn, frightened at the sight of an "azungu" (white person). Something different happened this time.

I held out my arms, smiling to let her know that I wasn't going to hurt her. There was a brief pause--she looked at me, looked at my arms--then smiled and rushed forward to give me the biggest hug. She thought that's what I meant.

I was so touched. I hugged her tightly back, and held it for a little while, forgetting that her mother is right behind her, watching the whole scene. Quickly I let go, and said "Pepani" (sorry) to her mother, a little embarassed. I didn't take the pulse of either the mother or daughter, even though I was supposed to...I hated to spoil the moment, and by no means did I want her to think that my outstretch arms meant anything other than a request for a hug.

The clinic can be so exhausting...mentally and physically. It's draining to see the poor, poor condition of these people and know that we can only do so much to help them, and then leave. The hug completely released me of my exhaustion. It was such a sweet moment. Such a sweet reminder that God is amongst us. And that He loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment